Yes, it’s that time of year again. The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) has just announced the 2008 winners in twelve different "Canadian Car of the Year" categories.
For those who are unfamiliar, the purpose of the Canadian Car of the Year awards program, created by journalist members of AJAC, is to provide consumers with sound, comparative information on vehicles that are new to the market.
Here is the complete list:
- Best new small car: Saturn Astra
- Best new family car: Honda Accord EX Sedan
- Best new luxury car: Mercedes-Benz C Class
- Best new prestige car (over $75,000): Audi R8
- Best new sports/performance car under $50,000: MINI Cooper S
- Best new sports/performance car over $50,000: Audi S5
- Best new convertible: BMW 335i Cabriolet
- Best new minivan: Hyundai Entourage
- Best new pickup truck: Chevrolet Silverado
- Best new SUV/CUV under $35,000: Nissan Rogue
- Best new SUV/CUV $35,000 - $60,000: Saturn Vue
- Best new SUV/CUV over $60,000: Buick Enclave
In addition to the twelve categories above, AJAC handed out the “Most Coveted Vehicle” award. Can you guess what it was? Give up…well it was the Audi R8. No surprise, it's quite a supercar!
To come to this final list, journalists extensively tested 177 new 2008 vehicles in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario from October 29 - November 2, 2007. This annual event is known in the industry as "TestFest", which lasts three to four days.
The rigorous TestFest evaluation program includes real world driving on public roads - exactly where consumers drive so that the test and vote results are directly relevant to potential car and truck buyers.
The overall Canadian Car of the Year award will be announced on February 13th, 2008, at the 2008 Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, Ontario.